Note that the Graduate Student Handbook is the authoritative source of deadlines for the PhD program.
1. CITI Modules: The modules providing instruction about responsible conduct of research must be completed during the first semester of attendance.
2. Admission to the Doctoral Program: This occurs on admission to Graduate School or following satisfactory performance on the qualifying examination.
3. Thesis Proposal Examination: No later than the sixth semester of graduate study. Copy of proposal must be submitted to the Thesis Advisory Committee at least two weeks prior to oral defense. Proposal defense must be announced to ChBE faculty and students at least 14 days in advance of the defense date.
4. Admission to Candidacy: Upon completion of thesis proposal examination and approval of the thesis topic.
5. Approval of Minor: Coursework for the minor must be completed one semester before graduation. Students must petition the ChBE Graduate Office and Dean of Graduate Studies.
6. Pre-Doctoral Review: Completed during the period between the Thesis Proposal Examination and the Thesis Defense, and no less than 6 months before graduation.
7. Fall Colloquium Presentation: Completed at the beginning of the 4th year of residence
8. Petition for Degree: This must be submitted to the Registrar during the semester preceding the expected graduation date.
9. Final Doctoral Examination: The student must be registered during the semester in which the final examination is given. Dissertation approval form must be submitted following the examination. Copy of thesis must be submitted to the Doctoral Examination Committee at least two weeks prior to oral defense. Thesis defense must be announced to ChBE faculty and students at least 14 days in advance of the defense date. Final copy must be submitted to the Graduate Division at least 15 days before graduation date.