Change of Major

A degree in Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering prepares students for a wide variety of career or graduate school options. It is both challenging and demanding. It requires not only academic competence but also a high level of motivation and persistence. Our goal is to enroll those students in this rigorous program who demonstrate both the aptitude and dedication necessary for success. 

We encourage all students who are considering a change of major into CHBE to attend a group Change of Major meeting. To sign up for a meeting please fill out this form.

Continuing Students with 30 or more hours of credit

We require continuing students considering a change of major to first enroll in the gateway class, CHBE 2100, if they have completed the prerequisites (CHEM 1211K OR CHEM 1310 AND MATH 1551 AND MATH 1552 AND MATH 1553 or 1554). We will grant permits for non-ChBE majors to register for the class during Phase II registration. A permit allows you to register for the class, but it does not guarantee availability of seats. Permits must be requested by emailing Ami Waller-ivanecky, including your GT ID#, and the term in which you wish to take the class.  

Second, we require that you complete a mandatory meeting with a faculty mentor while enrolled in 2100 to discuss your academic and career goals. This is an opportunity for you to interact with a professor within the department and ask any questions you may have about the curriculum and the career opportunities within this field. You should complete the academic goals worksheet, which is sent out along with the list of faculty mentors, during the semester in which you take the class. After completion, the mentor should sign the form and you will submit it to Ms. Ivanecky.

Finally, after you complete CHBE 2100 with a grade of “C” or higher and your grade is posted, we will consider your Change of Major request. We will only approve a change of major if a student is in good standing. You will be able to register for the next tier of classes in the CHBE sequence during Phase II registration. 

Transfer Students

A transfer student seeking a change of major will follow all of the steps outlined for a continuing student. However, we will not issue a permit to take CHBE 2100 to a new transfer student until after a GPA at Georgia Tech has been earned and the student is in good standing. Students admitted as transfers in a non-ChBE major should be aware that a change of major is at the discretion of ChBE and is not guaranteed.

Admitted Freshmen

Effective Fall 2017, admitted freshmen will not be allowed to submit a request for a change of major until after the deadline for withdrawal with a W grade in their first term of enrollment. The change would be effective for the second term of enrollment.

Ellen Murkison is the academic advisor for first year students. Questions not addressed during a group change of major meeting can be addressed to her.