Notify the Georgia Tech Police Department at (404) 894-2500. Do not dial 911.

The caller (you) should be able to provide the dispatcher with some basic information:

  • Location—e.g., Ford ES&T, Room XXXX
  • Nature or kind of injury or illness
  • If victim is conscious or unconscious
  • If an ambulance needs to be called

1.) If the caller can provide the above information, the dispatcher will send an officer to the scene and call for an ambulance immediately, if one is requested.

2.) If the caller cannot provide the above information, the dispatcher will send a GT police officer to the scene. Upon arrival, the responding officer will make an assessment of the situation, provide first aid to the victim, and request an ambulance at the officer's discretion.

3.) If the injured person can be safely transported to the hospital without the need of an ambulance, then the officer will provide transporation using a police vehicle.

Also Notify:

1.) PI/Thesis Director

2.) ChBE Building Manager: Curtis Burnett, (404) 385-4108, cell (404) 819-6749,

3.) School Chair: Chris Jones, (404) 385-1683,, or

4.) Safety Chair: Safety Chair Sankar Nair, (404) 894-4826,

Curtis Burnett will need to complete appropriate paperwork concerning any injury sustained while working on campus for ChBE. It is imperative that you contact him as soon as possible to preserve your rights to receive worker's compensation benefits if medically necessary.

The emergency response team will determine which of the following treatments is medically necessary/medically appropriate.

  • Emergency treatment for work related injuries to faculty, staff, and students may be obtained from the nearest hospital emergency room (normally not the campus infirmary).
  • In some cases emergency treatment may be provided at the campus infirmary.

Financial coverage for work related injuries is handled through the State workers' compensation insurance unit. All follow-up care after initial emergency treatment is also managed through this unit. There are certain reports which must be completed after any accident, whether or not an injury has occurred.

1.) A person sustaining an injury (no matter how trivial it may seem) must report the injury without delay to their research director or teaching laboratory coordinator. If the injured party cannot report the injury, then he or she must make arrangements to ensure that their research director or teaching laboratory coordinator is advised by a third-party. The person notified of the injury shall be responsible for ensuring that written reports are completed by the injured party and shall set any accident preventative measures in motion at once.

2.) The necessary written reports are as follows:

a.) For any accident whether or not an injury occurs, the person involved in the accident must complete a ChBE Accident/Incident report. 

Accident/Incident Report
File last updated May 31, 2023.

Alternately, the form may be obtained from the chairman of the ChBE Safety Committee or from the Main ChBE Office. The form will be submitted to the person’s research supervisor/advisor/director for additional comments. Copies of the completed report must be submitted to the school chair and to the chair of the safety committee.

Reporting accidents that occur in the undergraduate teaching laboratories will normally be the responsibility of the teaching assistant or teaching laboratory coordinator in charge of the laboratory.

b.) For work-related injuries requiring medical treatment, a workers' compensation claim must be completed by the supervisor of the injured person within 24 hours of the injury.

3.) Accidents (non-injury), hazards, and hazardous practices must also be promptly reported by those who observe them to the research director or safety committee.

In the case of hazards or hazardous practices which involve the facilities or housekeeping of any particular laboratory, the person responsible for the area should be notified.

It may appear that some accidents, hazards, and hazardous practices are of such a trivial nature that no report seems necessary. The point to be remembered is: Will a report of the accident or hazard be of service in detecting and eliminating an unsafe condition?

4.) In the case of serious accidents and accidents of obscure origin, none of the evidence should be disturbed until an investigation is made by the proper authorities. Naturally, all steps necessary for protection of personnel take precedence over preservation of evidence.

It is mandatory to complete a report after an accident/incident. The report will not only provide accurate documentation of the event but it will also serve as a learning tool for others.


Accident/Incident Report
File last updated May 31, 2023.

Each individual working in or visiting a laboratory or building at Georgia Tech is responsible for adherence to safe procedures and Georgia Tech safety policies.

Pertaining to the following buildings:

Ford ES&T, 311 Ferst Drive (Building 147)
Bunger-Henry, 778 Atlantic Drive (Building 86)
Molecular Science & Engineering ("M"), 901 Atlantic Drive (Building 167)